Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy Funnel Cake Season!!!

So, how are we going to pull this off now that it's festival season? Mardi Gras has come and gone, and the Nederland Heritage Festival starts tomorrow. And in a really odd twist, thanks to the recent hurricane activity, the South Texas State Fair is coming in Spring this year.

These events and others that I haven't found out about yet, attract me with the opportunity to people watch and take some pictures. Of course, once they get me there with that they spring the trap with their deep-fried delicacies.

If you can jam a stick in it, dunk it in funnel cake batter and throw it in a tub of boiling lard, you can certainly sell it for five dollars at the Fair. More if you dust it with powdered sugar.

A trip to Port Arthur's Mardi Gras has provided a little insight into one way we may be able to control the number of calories we take in at this year's festivals – economics. I don't know when turkey legs got to be seven dollars apiece, but if you ever seen me with a seven dollar turkey leg, please grab it and beat me severely about the head and shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment